Saturday, September 1, 2007

oh yeah, constructivity rules....


- another pair of days where I'm sitting here trying to work out what, exactly, I have actually done. Umm. Not much. Read lots of really interesting web stuff - blogs, and meds research, and news. Some great new blogs. How come medical blogs (many of which have nothing to do with psych stuff) are just so fascinating? And so....educational? I haven't wanted to be a doctor or nurse since I was about 8, but somehow it seems like almost all the blogs I hit regularly are med-related, either from a provider or patient perspective. With regular visits to Drugs.com to look up meds by their foreign names, and to Wikipedia for everything else I don't know. Seeing though, as I'm never going to be a healthcare kind of professional, that probably doesn't count as constructive.

News? Well, IOL had my favourite headline of the day. SA has always had full-service fuel stations, and no-one is going to change that - not only 'cos we're lazy - but it also does provide a lot of(albeit not well-paid) employment. But the editor who let the article about a wage increase slip through headed 'Hefty pay rise for petrol attendance' is due for a new dictionary....

Fetched 2 little pigeons. Collected a Fennec fox from the rehab centre and took him to his new home. Not normally a place we would rehome anything, being the city Zoo, but in this case, a far better alternative than his previous status as a pet, being kept in somewhat inadequate conditions. Although the "owner" had a permit, when NatureCon inspected the place, they withdrew the permit and requested that we find an alternative. The Zoo was delighted to get him, and had prepared a huge and exciting enclosure for him, and they've already started looking for a mate. Ok, bird and beast missions always count as constructive, so that gives me about 3 hours credit.

Oh - must remember to tell p-doc next week (it's one of his permanent nagging points) - I was sociable last night! And - second nagging point - almost sober with it. One single over about 2 1/2 hours, but I did drink a whole lot of green tea instead - had dinner with semi-sane cat buddy last night at the local Chinese restaurant. As always, we both ate too much due to our permanent inability to decide on what to eat, which means we end up going for either the set menus (knowing that they consist of too much food) or choosing 3 or 4 dishes to share (ditto on too much).

And I've now quit taking the midazolam as a sedative. Wasn't doing that good a job anyway, I was still waking up 4 or 5 times a night, but I was really uncoordinated and groggy when I did. Am going back onto doing standby for the IT job for all mainframe clients, not just my "own" one. Which means the likelihood of being called has risen dramatically, and it's all for software that I know really well but haven't been dealing with for 3 years. I can't take the chance on not being able to wake up enough to handle calls. Don't know what I'm going to use instead though. Even with Remeron being sedating, without an actual "sleeping pill", I'm awake till 04h00 - and little bird season is on the go, so they need first feeds anytime between 05h00 and 07h30 (at the latest and only for the bigger babies). And I don't function without at least 7 hours of solid kip. Last one didn't work at all, the two before that were OK, but not great. Guess I wing it for the week on those, seeing as I have a couple of each in the collection, and see what p-doc says when I see him on Friday. He'll probably snigger lots about me having dipped into my savings, and refuse to give me anything else until I give him back the midazolam remnants. And/or the other waifs and strays - I really hate myself for keeping them so obsessively. Only good point is that somehow having them makes me think less about using them, or anything else. Doesn't stop me from keeping the pool hose in the car though.....

No comments: