Monday, July 9, 2007

yawn some more....

- not much of a day, but as always, I'm exhausted. Did a couple of errands this morning, cheated and bought more stone mix for the garden (am slowly dog-proofing vulnerable plants by surrounding them with uncomfortable-to-walk-on stones) even though I am sooooo broke this month, and was on my way home when I got a call to tell me there was a problem with one of my databases at work. Turned out to be someone else had a problem, but they needed me to restore some data so they could fix it. Oops. Big, big, oops. I couldn't do the restore, because, although I had the backup, it was an in-flight one, and the change log for the same period had already been cycled out and overwritten. Mortifying. My first stuff up in 3 years of being a lazy contractor - well, the first one anyone else has known about, the others I've been able to fix without telling anybody. Database administrators are devious about things like that - we squirrel things like extra space and extra backups and spare anything we can get hold of away, just in case. And quite often those things mean we can keep our asses clean - not this time though. I had a cycle of 50 logs, to get where they wanted, I needed to have had the 58th one. Which was history already....

So tomorrow it's emergency change time, before I go see t-doc. And then come play in the garden afterwards. For some reason, now that it's the middle of winter and really not the best time to be planting things, I have become obsessed with fixing up the garden, after 7 years of letting it gradually be squashed out of existence by the dogs. Doing it in patches - one for the dogs, one for me, one for the dogs, one for me etc etc. So eventually, maybe my patches will distract from the Sahara that the dogs turn their bits into - complete, thanks to Zac the Collie, with sand dunes and hollows (he likes to dig a 3 inch deep and 2 foot diameter hole, and then he curls up and sleeps in that. Go figure. Must be a collie ritual of some kind).

And for now, bed with the furball kitties, nature's greatest source of heat....

Oh, and damn bloody hated beyond all hatred medical plan not only won't pay for Ketamine (which was expected), but won't pay one cent of anaesthetist or hospital costs. Because they don't believe I should have tried the Ket in the 1st place they say. Actually, because they are a bunch of money-grubbing shitheads. Not my favorite people, seeing as in addition to what I pay them for full coverage, I have to pay about 45% of my salary for the things that they won't pay for - pdoc, tdoc, meds, gynae, blood or other lab tests unless done in hospital, 3/4 of almost every doctor of any kind, and everything my dentist does (unless he did it in hospital....). Hate them. Guess I need it though, because mostly they pay for hospitals - and I seem to be spending enough time in them this year again.

No comments: