Wednesday, November 28, 2007

mixed bag

the bad bits started with losing two mynahs, the teeny-tiny pinky and a sparrow with probable spinal injury this morning. Followed by fetching a fat feral squab with a huge infected canker, so had to euthanase him. And more text messages from DB. I can't be outrightly nasty to her, because I do care. Yesterday she sent me a message asking me to come have coffee. I eventually replied a few hours later to say that I didn't think it was a good idea for either of us. She asked if I was sure. Today she says that she's sorry about messages but can't stop thinking about us when we met in the hospital, and am I sure about coffee. Yeah, I guess I am. Sure that I just can't go through a friendship that is more intense than most affairs, that I now know in advance will just end up hurting. I am just as much at fault. Maybe it's that I'm too old to volunteer for another round of pain. Besides...even if she's forgotten what she said, I haven't. And probably won't for a long, long time. Why would she want to be friends with an asshole loser, anyway.

Good bits were taking all three remaining mynahs to their new homes - one as Suzy reincarnated. It's done, so I will have to keep that secret for ever, but I think it was probably the right choice. Even if it was dishonest of me. The other two went to a friend of the home where one of them was rescued from the roof. I'd taken both to meet him, and when he saw them he immediately begged to take the two together. Which - blush - was actually my intention. Mad mynah daddy has demonstrated to me that mynahs seem to be more settled when there are a couple of them, and it doesn't seem to stop them from having strong human relationships too. And Shrekkie the mousebird is still healthy and happy, as are his buddies Pool Noodle and Weeny One. Not of course that they will ever know that they have names, but it makes it easier for me to keep track and feed etc. And canoodle too....

Other good bits to share are two new blog-links, both scrounged shamelessly from Lara B at Red,red whine. Nabbalicious writes beautifully and takes awesome pictures. And JR is so funny that my dogs have been woken up to come and see why mommy is howling. Heck, her folks are almost as funny in their comments on her posts. So - two very different but excellent blogs for your enjoyment. Shit, you deserve a reward for reading this one...

No comments: