Sunday, February 3, 2008

and the stupid prize goes to...

...just for a change. Way this award-winning episode started was with finishing phase 1 of the project that I have been working all hours of the night for, only to reach the conclusion that it was all pretty pointless. The request for file access that I had put in two full weeks ago had never been done, which means that the developers will have to assess and redo much of what I had done for them. I'd asked again before doing the last tasks, which would have made it about 90% OK. Didn't get it. Punted the request upward, no response from anyone. So on Friday I mailed everyone including the developers, who work for a different contractor - the project manager had a belated panic, and no-one else even twitched. I got more miserable, as well as grumpy.

After a few vodkas, I developed a need for sushi, one of my favourite foods. Only problem is that I am currently taking a large dose of a reversable MAOI, which is supposed to mean sticking to a strict tyramine-free diet. I've been kind of ignoring that anyway, because I don't seem to get much in the way of side-effects. Or results. Lots of sleepiness from stimulants, hypotension and dizziness from Nardil, lots of dreams from most things. And, I discovered, a nice reaction to the soy sauce, which eventually scared me enough to head up the road to the ER for a quick check to make sure that I wasn't about to blow any blood vessels.

One of those visits where every conversation was started by me saying 'umm, I know this was very stupid of me....'. And where the doctor on duty was equally annoyed by my idiocy and by the fact that I had to basically explain the current drugs I'm on, what the MAO-B distinction is, what the off-label uses are for half the meds - none of which he knew. I wouldn't expect him to, because he's not an adventurous shrink, but I'd also prefer it if he didn't treat me like a weirdo because I do try to learn about what I take. Even if the knowledge isn't always applied too wisely...

No comments: